The City’s Planning and Inspections Department consists of three positions – the Planning Director, the Inspection Superintendent and the Permit Technician. The department is responsible for a variety of activities including but limit to the following:
- Development and implementation of long-range community plans;
- Plan review, permitting, and inspections related to compliance with the North Carolina State Building Code;
- Plan review, permitting, and inspections related to compliance with the City’s Unified Development Ordinance (which includes regulations pertaining to zoning, subdivision, flood damage prevention, watershed, landscaping, signage, telecommunication, and historic);
- Code Enforcement activities pertaining to public nuisances, abandoned structures, and minimum housing standards as set forth in the City’s Code of Ordinances;
- Serving as staff liaison to the City’s Planning and Zoning Board, the Board of Adjustment and Appeals, and the Historic Preservation Board.